Amazing Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- 1 onion
- 5 carrots
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 10 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3–4 cups cubed bread (dry sturdy or day old bread works best)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop the onion carrots and celery. Place in a large baking dish. Add the wild rice and the broth. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- When the rice is almost done melt four tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour salt and poultry seasoning and cook for one minute. Add the milk slowly whisking to form a thick creamy sauce.
- If you want the topping melt the remaining six tablespoons butter and toss with the bread cubes. (I’ve also made it without the topping and it’s still delicious).
- When the rice is done remove foil add raw chicken and creamy sauce and stir to combine. Arrange the bread in a layer on top. Turn the heat up to 450 and bake uncovered for another 20-30 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and the bread cubes are golden brown. Top with salt pepper and/or parsley for a pop of green color.
This article and recipe adapted from this site